Thursday, February 21, 2008

Harriet

I miss having a dog. It's been 9 months since Harriet's been gone and I still think about her most days. Is that weird? Maybe, but Harriet and I went through a lot together. She was with me for the beginings and endings of relationships, births of nephews/niece and everything else that happened in my life for the past 11 years. She was a great listener, always available and very empathetic. She always knew when I was getting ready to go out and would look at me, hoping she was coming along for the ride. And she was ALWAYS ready to go along for the ride. I would take her to Starbucks for coffee. Well, coffee for me, lemon cake for her. Harriet was quite popular at Starbucks. Most people that walked by the car would stop and pet her....she would lick them and give them her paw. It would be hard to find a friendlier dog. Seriously, look at that picture! I always called her a "super-model" dog.
And she was. Super.
Now, I'm a dog person. The Girl...not so much. She only knew Harriet at the very end of her life and The Girl was great with her...cooking for her and helping me give her a bath. That was interesting! But The Girl feels and I mostly agree, that a dog is such a huge responsibility that to get one now, considering our lifestyle, would be a mistake. Every once in a while we bat this issue around. We'll see. Maybe someday.

So, while I miss having a dog, I think, really, it's that I miss MY dog.

1 comment:

Alison... said...

She was a super dog, the best girl in the world! I loved her too and thanks for making me cry at work, ya stoop. Good thing AC is not here...