Monday, February 4, 2008

Down The Chute...


Who do you trust to pack your parachute? Who do you trust, quite literally, with your life? This person hands you the parchute, you strap it on and you jump. You don't check it out. You trust that they value your life just as much as YOU do. You know when you pull that cord, the chute will open. And if it doesn't, you have NO doubt the back-up will.

I think there is a couple of ways of looking at this. Would your parachute-packer be the person you believe loves you the most? Or the person you find most competent.....or both? Would those same people trust YOU to pack their parachutes? I think most people would say their parents could pack their parachute. And that's most likely true. For me, I would trust The Girl and my sister, The Clown (she's a clown. I'm not kidding.)

When we get on a plane, we're trusting the pilot to "pack our parachute." I think we accept that and the risks associated with it. However, what about when we get our car brakes done at Midas/Meineke/Jiffy-Brake......are we trusting the 19 year old kid that's fiddling around under our car, talking to his buddy, texting and smoking a cigarette, all at the same time he's installing the new brakes? He's packing the chute too, in a way. That's scarier than my sister being a Clown!

All in all, if we have one or two people in our lives that we would trust to pack our parachutes, I would say we're very fortunate.

So, to The Girl I say, I know how lucky I am to have you, the person I trust most, to pack my parachute.

No comments: