Thursday, January 24, 2008

Game, Set, Match.....

I've mentioned The Girl in most, if not all of my posts thus far. A brief history of The Girl and Me:
We "met" on Match.com in September of 2006. We met IRL in October 2006. Our first date was a Friday night and we went to the Topsfield Fair. After we walked around, had some fair food, saw the very large pumpkin and watched the tractor pull, we left to go for pizza. I was incredibley nervous. I was not new to the blind-online dating thing but, I knew from our emails and long phone conversations that The Girl was special and I felt a real connection to her from the very begining. I've always heard that when you meet "the one" you just KNOW. Well, I KNEW! And my nerves were getting in the way. As a matter of fact, my nerves were making HER nervous. The Girl fondly remembers me tapping the knife against the bread in a way that made her excuse herself and rush off to the ladies room.

So, we ate our pizza and I tried to not make a total ass of myself. We drove to my house where she had left her car. I pulled up in front of my house and while what happened next is subject to some debate, MY memory is The Girl JUMPED out of the car before it came to a complete stop and hightailed it to her own car. I realize there is another contradictory memory for this but, since it's MY blog, I get to use MY memory.

That was our first date. There were Giant Pumpkins, roasted nuts, frazzled nerves,tractors, pizza, wine, knives and The Girl jumping out of the car.

In October of 2007, we made our second trip to The Topsfield Fair. There we again saw the giant pumpkin, ate the food and watched the tractors. There were no nerves, knives or jumping from moving vehicles.

There WAS going home together, going to sleep and waking up together.
Which, for me, is the best part of it all.

No comments: