Friday, April 25, 2008

Maybe It's NOT All About ME....?



Yesterday, I had a mission. About a month ago The Girl and I decided to cancel our home phone. We both have cell phones and it seemed like a waste of money to keep the house phone too. We never used it, I rarely answered it and I was glad to be rid of it. The less money we have to pay to Comcast, the better. I received a letter from Comcast stating I needed to bring them the phone modem my April 24th or they would bill me $80 for it. Not so "Comcastic" of them, was it?

So, my mission yesterday was to return the modem. During lunch I went to the Comcast office in Peabody. On the door was a notice: OFFICE CLOSED, MOVED TO SALEM.
Ok, I read and re-read the directions to the Salem office...there were about 8 lines of directions. This wasn't working for me at all. I don't KNOW Salem that well...I have a terrible sense of direction....this had craptastic written all over it. I called my office and had SECRETARY call Comcast and find out if the Saugus Comcast was still open. I knew where that was and it was more or less near my office. I got the word the Saugus office was open and I knew exactly where it was. I set off for Saugus. I figured I'd be back at my desk in less than a half hour. I was very wrong.

As I hit Central Street in Saugus, there were police cruisers, fire engines and ambulances tearing down the street. Something must have happend, I thought. Have I mentioned how incredibly perceptive I am?? First I could smell the smoke...then, I could see it. Thick, black, oppressive smoke. I closed the car windows and sun-roof. It was hard to see the car in front of me. Traffic came to a dead stop. People were running down the street, toward wherever this smoke was coming from. Then I noticed the helicopters, hovering. Not to be overly dramatic but it looked like a scene in a movie. There were fire engines from Revere, Malden and Lynn trying to get through the traffic. All I could think was, I'm stuck in this smoke, I can't get to Comcast, this is killing me. I was very aggravated.

This morning I read that an elderly woman, a DOUBLE AMPUTEE, had to be rescued from the top floor of a 3 family house. While I was sitting there all put out by this terrible inconvenience to MY day, a woman, WITHOUT LEGS, was trapped in a burning house.

Maybe I'm the craptastic one.

4 comments:

Alison... said...

Is that the actual house or is that random picture of a burning house?

yikes.

awful.

Did you ever make it to Comcast????

Accountant said...

That's the actual house (pic from today's Globe) and yes, I did make it to comcast and I didn't get back to work until 2:17! It was a complete GF but so minor when I think about what was happening while I sat and stewed.
Jeez. Put's things in perspective.

Anonymous said...

Oh please. Legs or not, everyone knows it still all about you. Or The Girl. Or you and The Girl together... Am I right??

Accountant said...

OH Matey!
Is that a rhetorical question??